Monday 7 March 2011

The World Through Different Eyes

One of the things that has fascinated me till this very day is people or more specifically how different people perceive the world in different ways. I mean I'm only one person so I can only see the world in one way. So I always find it so intriguing how the world may look to another person. Some people may travel the world in search for 'exotic' people and cultures but to me, the person sitting next to me is as just as exotic as some other person on the other side of the globe.

Of course on the surface, people of the same culture will appear similar to one another but if we look deep enough, we'll find all the difference in the world. Every person grew up under different circumstances with different families, mingling different people, with different goals and aspirations. So I always find it most interesting listening to the daily life stories of different individuals, as if vicariously living their lives in fast forward for those few moments. To take the time to listen to the life of another is probably as interesting, if not more, as taking a holiday to a far off land to experience exotic cultures (at least that's what I believe in).

Same thing with artists, dancers and the like. Their works, their styles, are all embodiments of who they really are. Seeing a dancer freestyling in a cypher or capoeiristas in a roda is almost like having a conversation without words. Watching a person's honest choreography is like having a screen the looks right into the soul. Maybe that's one of the reasons why I choose to hang with these kinds of people.

But yeah, next time you have the time with someone, just sit down and listen to how the world looks like through a different pair of eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment